April 1, 2022 – Published by AEC EUROPE
3.0 V6 Ecodiesel Gen III added to AEC EUROPE’s Ram 1500 Powertrain line-up
New 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s Half-ton Diesel Torque Leader: 651nm of Torque, lands in Europe.
AEC EUROPE, the #1 European Importer of Ram trucks, adds the all-new third-generation 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel powertrain to its Ram 1500 European line-up.
This addition makes the Ram 1500 America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, with 651 NM of torque, and most capable light-duty diesel, with towing capability up to 3,500 kgs. The new powertrain is also the most fuel-efficient powertrain to date in AEC range of products.
The 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is available in all models and configurations, including a first-time offering in the Ram Rebel. The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is available to order immediately with little stock available on the European continent. It can be experienced at select dealers in some major countries.
All-new EcoDiesel Engine
The third generation of the turbocharged 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 delivers increased torque and horsepower, along with superb fuel economy and minimal levels of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) to meet the needs of Ram 1500 owners.
In the 2020 Ram 1500, the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 was rated at a best-in-class 651nm of torque at 1,600 rpm, a 14 percent increase from the previous-generation EcoDiesel V-6 that peaks 400 rpm earlier. Horsepower increases 8 percent to 260 hp at 3,600 rpm.
Several significant changes contribute to the new EcoDiesel’s improved dynamic and fuel economy performance.
- A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
- Redesigned cylinder head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
- The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system design has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
- The compression ratio has been optimized to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
- High-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber
- Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
- NVH has been reduced by offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline; thus, minimizing mechanical noises
- The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces NVH
- The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency
The upgrades build on the EcoDiesel V-6’s previous success, the attributes and performance of which made it a winner of America’s “Wards 10 Best Engines” for three consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016).
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast with compacted graphite iron, which provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. A compacted graphite iron bedplate adds rigidity to the block.
The EcoDiesel V-6 uses a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. The aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is produced at the FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy.
Ram 1500, America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 651nm of torque, achieves an unsurpassed combined WLTP consumption of 10,5L/100km with emissions of 278g/km.
Fuel consumption and CO2-Emissions of all Dodge & RAM 1500 models shown on this page with the available V8 - V6 petrol engines: Fuel consumption (comb.): 14.9 - 11.2 l/100km; CO2-Emissions (comb.): 395 - 272 g/km; Efficiency class: G - E*